United Will Soon Hand out Gel Pillows to All Polaris Customers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This Wednesday, I attended a media preview of United’s brand-new San Francisco (SFO) Polaris Lounge — it’ll be the second to launch when it opens to the public on Monday.
Following our tour of the lounge, we had a chance to check out the airline’s first retrofit 777-200, which Mr. JT Genter managed to review earlier this week. UA reps took that opportunity to showcase the various Polaris amenities, including the very-slightly refreshed (read: 747 logo-less) amenity kit below:
While United is eliminating drink cart service on May 1 — including the slick wine tasting “arc” — the airline will be significantly boosting its stock of one popular amenity: the cooling gel pillow.
Come July 1, passengers will find the gel pillow waiting at their seat, eliminating the need to request one from a flight attendant. And while I’ve never had trouble getting one even halfway through a flight, apparently the airline does run out on occasion — as with the pajamas you can request on longer flights, the gel pillows have been available on a first come, first served basis. (But unlike those PJs, gel pillows have to stay on the plane.)
Personally, I always ask for one of these pillows, so I certainly won’t object to having it waiting at my seat. Of course it does add to the bulk, so I’m sure some passengers will have something to say about there being too much “stuff,” but it’s easy enough to toss the extra bedding up into the overhead bin if you don’t plan to use it right away.
While the Polaris rollout has been embarrassingly sluggish, things are finally beginning to ramp up — and quickly. United has committed to introducing a new (or retrofitted) Polaris-equipped aircraft every 10 days from now through 2020, and the carrier will soon roll out its fancy new lounges at a steady clip.
For more on recent Polaris developments, see:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.