This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This Wednesday, I attended a media preview of United’s brand-new San Francisco (SFO) Polaris Lounge — it’ll be the second to launch when it opens to the public on Monday.
Following our tour of the lounge, we had a chance to check out the airline’s first retrofit 777-200, which Mr. JT Genter managed to review earlier this week. UA reps took that opportunity to showcase the various Polaris amenities, including the very-slightly refreshed (read: 747 logo-less) amenity kit below:
While United is eliminating drink cart service on May 1 — including the slick wine tasting “arc” — the airline will be significantly boosting its stock of one popular amenity: the cooling gel pillow.
Come July 1, passengers will find the gel pillow waiting at their seat, eliminating the need to request one from a flight attendant. And while I’ve never had trouble getting one even halfway through a flight, apparently the airline does run out on occasion — as with the pajamas you can request on longer flights, the gel pillows have been available on a first come, first served basis. (But unlike those PJs, gel pillows have to stay on the plane.)
Personally, I always ask for one of these pillows, so I certainly won’t object to having it waiting at my seat. Of course it does add to the bulk, so I’m sure some passengers will have something to say about there being too much “stuff,” but it’s easy enough to toss the extra bedding up into the overhead bin if you don’t plan to use it right away.
While the Polaris rollout has been embarrassingly sluggish, things are finally beginning to ramp up — and quickly. United has committed to introducing a new (or retrofitted) Polaris-equipped aircraft every 10 days from now through 2020, and the carrier will soon roll out its fancy new lounges at a steady clip.
For more on recent Polaris developments, see:
- The World’s Largest United Polaris Lounge: By the Numbers
- Polaris Redemption: United’s Retrofitted 777-200 From DC to Frankfurt
- United to Eliminate Drink Carts From Polaris Cabins
- An Update on United Polaris Business Class, One Year After Launch
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*