United Will Soon Hand out Gel Pillows to All Polaris Customers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This Wednesday, I attended a media preview of United’s brand-new San Francisco (SFO) Polaris Lounge — it’ll be the second to launch when it opens to the public on Monday.
Following our tour of the lounge, we had a chance to check out the airline’s first retrofit 777-200, which Mr. JT Genter managed to review earlier this week. UA reps took that opportunity to showcase the various Polaris amenities, including the very-slightly refreshed (read: 747 logo-less) amenity kit below:
While United is eliminating drink cart service on May 1 — including the slick wine tasting “arc” — the airline will be significantly boosting its stock of one popular amenity: the cooling gel pillow.
Come July 1, passengers will find the gel pillow waiting at their seat, eliminating the need to request one from a flight attendant. And while I’ve never had trouble getting one even halfway through a flight, apparently the airline does run out on occasion — as with the pajamas you can request on longer flights, the gel pillows have been available on a first come, first served basis. (But unlike those PJs, gel pillows have to stay on the plane.)
Personally, I always ask for one of these pillows, so I certainly won’t object to having it waiting at my seat. Of course it does add to the bulk, so I’m sure some passengers will have something to say about there being too much “stuff,” but it’s easy enough to toss the extra bedding up into the overhead bin if you don’t plan to use it right away.
While the Polaris rollout has been embarrassingly sluggish, things are finally beginning to ramp up — and quickly. United has committed to introducing a new (or retrofitted) Polaris-equipped aircraft every 10 days from now through 2020, and the carrier will soon roll out its fancy new lounges at a steady clip.
For more on recent Polaris developments, see:
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees