Gatwick Airport eyes post-pandemic expansion, will add second runway for regular use
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
London’s Gatwick Airport (LGW) is pushing forward with long-term plans to increase capacity by reconfiguring its emergency runway for regular use. The expansion comes as Gatwick officials aim to significantly increase customer traffic at the U.K.’s second-busiest airport.
With the additional runway and other improvements — such as better terminal and roadway access — officials estimate the airport will be able to serve 75 million passengers yearly by 2038.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
“These plans are a long-term investment in our future. The planning process takes several years, as will the time to make changes to the runway,” reads a statement on the airport’s official website.
If all goes according to plan, the airport expansion could create 18,400 new jobs and bring 1.5 billion pounds ($2.1 billion) to the region by 2038.
The emergency runway, which is side-by-side with Gatwick’s main runway, will be moved almost 40 feet sideways to allow it to be used by regular short-haul flights. The airport intends to use both runways for departing flights. All arriving flights would continue to use the main runway.
Airport officials say the project will be delivered in a sustainable way, meet all global safety standards and will help the U.K. government’s goal of net-zero emissions by 2050. There is a local hearing to discuss the plans set for Sept. 9.
Some may view the timing of Gatwick’s expansion plans as curious given that the ongoing pandemic continues to severely depress travel. Indeed, Gatwick Airport continues to experience low passenger and air traffic numbers. However, officials are optimistic that a full recovery will happen in the near future with passenger numbers rebounding to pre-pandemic levels.
Featured photo by Simon Dawson/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees