Fuel Tanker Hits Vehicle at Cleveland Airport, Spills 5,500 Gallons of Gas
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A fuel tanker collided with another vehicle near an airport hangar at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) early Tuesday morning, spilling around 5,500 gallons of jet fuel onto the tarmac.
The Cleveland Fire Department arrived on the scene just after 5:30am and was able to dam the tanker leak around half an hour later. The fire department originally estimated that 10,000 gallons of fuel had been spilled, but later revised its estimate to just over half that amount.
No injuries were reported and no schedules were impacted, according to the airport, which also deployed environmental and hazmat crews to the scene to oversee cleanup. A spokesperson for the Cleveland airport said that a private company had been hired to clean up the spill, and the fire department stated that none of the fuel was believed to have entered the sewer system.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.