French Polynesia will reopen to international travelers on May 1
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
French Polynesia had been a popular destination for travelers seeking a pandemic getaway until it closed to international travelers in February.
The collectivity of France, which includes the sought-after islands of Tahiti, Bora Bora and Moorea will reopen to international travelers on May 1, according to French Polynesia’s president.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
“We are going to put in place a protocol at the entry of our borders using virological testing, serological testing, vaccine and ETIS (Electronic Travel Information System),” said President Edouard Fritch last week.
Fritch traveled to Paris and justified reopening by saying that the pandemic in French Polynesia was under control and that COVID-19 vaccines were available for all residents.
French Polynesia officially reopened to tourism last July. Travelers must present a negative RT-PCR COVID-19 test taken within three days before departure, and travelers bound for Tahiti are subjected to a 10-day quarantine. According to Johns Hopkins University, French Polynesia has recorded over 18,000 cases of the novel coronavirus and 141 deaths.
Under the rules put in place in February, travelers to or from French Polynesia had to “justify that his situation falls under one of the three imperative reasons: personal/family, health [or] professional.”
Family reasons include situations like the death of a relative, health reasons include a “vital medical emergency” and professional reasons include healthcare workers combatting the COVID-19 pandemic. All acceptable reasons require documented proof.
The country has not yet released details on reopening including if Americans will be allowed to visit.
Featured photo by Poly Damocean/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.