This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
So, here’s a way to entertain yourself this weekend without breaking the bank. Smithsonian Magazine is facilitating its 14th annual Museum Day on Saturday, an event that offers guests free admission to more than 1,400 museums across the US.
Often, museums charge admission that can cost about $25 a person per entry. Museum Day, according to Chief Revenue Officer at Smithsonian Media, Amy Wilkins, was created in the spirit of inclusion. It’s one day of the year for those who don’t regularly frequent museums to go out and experience something beyond their usual interests.
Museum Day will feature an eclectic mix of museums ranging from art, history, science, zoos, gardens and more. And let’s not forget the Jell-O Museum, one of the world’s quirkiest museums. In addition to regular displays, specific museums will be holding special events in honor of this year’s theme, “Women Making History.” For example, The San Diego Air & Space Museum will be hosting the “American Women of Flight” informational exhibit about aviation heroines such as Sally Ride and Bessie Coleman. The Whaling Museum & Education Center in Cold Spring Harbor, New York, will debut “Heroines at the Helm” — an exhibit dedicated entirely to female pioneers and their achievements in whaling.
To find out more about this year’s participating venues, the Smithsonian website is a great place to start.
Registering for Museum Day is simple. All you have to do is choose your museum of choice and register via email to redeem your free pass. Note that only one free pass will be issued to an email address, so if you’re planning on going with some friends, make sure they’ve signed up as well. This event is one day only, so make sure you have everything in order by September 22.
Featured image by George Rose via Getty Images
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees