This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
So, here’s a way to entertain yourself this weekend without breaking the bank. Smithsonian Magazine is facilitating its 14th annual Museum Day on Saturday, an event that offers guests free admission to more than 1,400 museums across the US.
Often, museums charge admission that can cost about $25 a person per entry. Museum Day, according to Chief Revenue Officer at Smithsonian Media, Amy Wilkins, was created in the spirit of inclusion. It’s one day of the year for those who don’t regularly frequent museums to go out and experience something beyond their usual interests.
Museum Day will feature an eclectic mix of museums ranging from art, history, science, zoos, gardens and more. And let’s not forget the Jell-O Museum, one of the world’s quirkiest museums. In addition to regular displays, specific museums will be holding special events in honor of this year’s theme, “Women Making History.” For example, The San Diego Air & Space Museum will be hosting the “American Women of Flight” informational exhibit about aviation heroines such as Sally Ride and Bessie Coleman. The Whaling Museum & Education Center in Cold Spring Harbor, New York, will debut “Heroines at the Helm” — an exhibit dedicated entirely to female pioneers and their achievements in whaling.
To find out more about this year’s participating venues, the Smithsonian website is a great place to start.
Registering for Museum Day is simple. All you have to do is choose your museum of choice and register via email to redeem your free pass. Note that only one free pass will be issued to an email address, so if you’re planning on going with some friends, make sure they’ve signed up as well. This event is one day only, so make sure you have everything in order by September 22.
Featured image by George Rose via Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards