You Can Get a Free Kayak Tour in Europe by Cleaning Trash From the Waterways
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Nothing ruins the view or ambiance of a European city canal quite like bits of floating garbage bobbing along the surface. Fortunately, the Denmark-based nonprofit GreenKayak has devised a way to use tourists to change that — with a fun, sporty twist.
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
According to USA Today, the project lets volunteer tourists kayak in the canals for free (life-jackets and equipment included) in exchange for the task of picking up any trash they find along the way. It’s been around since the spring of 2017, when it originated in Copenhagen, and has since collected approximately 11 tons of trash. Now it’s expanding to new urban waterways for the 2019 summer season, including those in Dublin, Bergen and Hamburg.
View this post on Instagram
💪🏽💪🏽 we are overwhelmed to stand side by side with all these awesome people. Each one on the mission to remove trash from the water ! @lise_vestergaard @emilielilja @carlsbergdanmark @kayakbar @kayak_republic #greenkayak #miljøkajakken #carlsberg #danmark #copenhagen #kayakbar #summertime #thankyou #kayakrepublic 🚣🏼♂️ . 🚣🏼♂️ . #kayaking #nature #naturefriendly #environment #launch #noplanetb #nogo #kayak #oceanpollution #planet #beachcleanup #plasticpollution #climatechange #inspiration #yes #urban #inspiration #solution #globalnetwork #miljø #press #high5
A post shared by GreenKayak (@greenkayak.ngo) on
“We had hoped to have 30 kayaks this year, but most likely we will have around 50 spread across all of our locations,” Tobias Weber-Andersen, GreenKayak founder and CEO, told USA Today.
Kayaks used for the program are double-seaters, meaning the two passengers can ride together for double the cleaning power. Participants have been taking to social media to spread the word and share their experiences.
“In Denmark, people hang out on canals and eat pizza and unfortunately see trash floating by,” said Weber-Andersen. “You can’t take your shirt off and jump in, but you can get in a GreenKayak and make an impact.”
If you’re not a kayaker but still care about keeping Europe’s canals clean, GreenKayak takes donations on their website, here. The program is currently available in Ireland, Denmark, Germany, Sweden and Norway.
Featured image by Fishman/ullstein bild via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.