France Wants an ‘Ecotax’ of up to $20 on Flights Beginning Next Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The French government announced on Tuesday that it plans to introduce a new environment tax on flights departing from France, beginning next year. The “ecotax” will range in amount between €1.50 and €18 ($1.70 and $20) as part of the government’s bid to help the environment.
Air France followed Tuesday’s announcement by releasing a statement, saying that it “strongly disapproves” of the proposal.
“This new tax would significantly penalize Air France’s competitiveness, at a time when the company needs to strengthen its investment capacity to more rapidly reduce its environmental footprint, notably as part of its fleet renewal policy,” the airline said in the statement.
The tax is expected to raise around €180 million ($200 million), which the French government plans to invest in more eco-friendly methods of transportation.
Air France says that the country is already one of the most highly taxed air transport industries in all of Europe, and this new imposition would cost the group (which includes KLM and Transavia) upwards of €60 million a year ($67 million), affecting its ability to remain competitive in the European aviation market.
In the face of increasing competition from low-cost carriers, the airline’s intra-Europe short-haul operation is already losing money. An additional tax on top of this would presumably not help, though this would be equally imposed on its competitors operating flights from France.
The tax does not apply to flights arriving in France, flights connecting through France, or from France to French overseas territories like Reunion Island or French Polynesia. French Transport Minister Elisabeth Borne advised that the cheapest end of the tax will be for domestic and European economy flights, with the highest level imposed on business- and first-class ticketss departing France to outside the European Union.
In an era of increasing consciousness of environmental protection, the French flag carrier has agreed to reduce its CO2 emissions by 50% by 2050, which is in line with the Paris Climate Agreement Objectives.
Featured image by Darren Murph / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees