France Is Investing €50 Million in Airports, Ports for No-Deal Brexit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
France’s Prime Minister Edouard Philippe has announced a plan for the nation to invest €50 million ($56.8 million) in its airports and sea ports to prepare for the likely event of a no-deal Brexit.
The plan, reportedly unexpected, was announced last week after Philippe held a meeting with his transport ministers following the British parliament’s resounding rejection of the most recent proposed Brexit deal. Consequences of a no-deal Brexit for air travel are coming into clear focus as the final Brexit date, March 29, looms ever closer. Aviation trade group International Air Transport Association said recently that up to 5 million airline tickets could be canceled in a hard Brexit. UK airlines would also potentially be unable to add new flights between the UK and Europe to their 2019 schedules. Those routes would be capped at 2018’s numbers.
“What’s certain is that the scenario of a no-deal Brexit is less and less unlikely,” Philippe said to reports on Thursday after the meeting. “That’s why… I have decided to trigger the plan for a no-deal Brexit.”
According to Philippe’s plan, the €50 million would be spent on hiring 600 new employees, like customs agents and veterinary control staff, as well as new parking areas and temporary buildings at ports, The Independent says.
Funds will be allocated to the French airports and ports “most concerned” by a no-deal Brexit, Philippe said but did not elaborate further. “We want to be ready so that the interests of our citizens can be preserved.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees