France Is Investing €50 Million in Airports, Ports for No-Deal Brexit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
France’s Prime Minister Edouard Philippe has announced a plan for the nation to invest €50 million ($56.8 million) in its airports and sea ports to prepare for the likely event of a no-deal Brexit.
The plan, reportedly unexpected, was announced last week after Philippe held a meeting with his transport ministers following the British parliament’s resounding rejection of the most recent proposed Brexit deal. Consequences of a no-deal Brexit for air travel are coming into clear focus as the final Brexit date, March 29, looms ever closer. Aviation trade group International Air Transport Association said recently that up to 5 million airline tickets could be canceled in a hard Brexit. UK airlines would also potentially be unable to add new flights between the UK and Europe to their 2019 schedules. Those routes would be capped at 2018’s numbers.
“What’s certain is that the scenario of a no-deal Brexit is less and less unlikely,” Philippe said to reports on Thursday after the meeting. “That’s why… I have decided to trigger the plan for a no-deal Brexit.”
According to Philippe’s plan, the €50 million would be spent on hiring 600 new employees, like customs agents and veterinary control staff, as well as new parking areas and temporary buildings at ports, The Independent says.
Funds will be allocated to the French airports and ports “most concerned” by a no-deal Brexit, Philippe said but did not elaborate further. “We want to be ready so that the interests of our citizens can be preserved.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.