France Has Deployed 5,000 Extra Police to Paris for Peak Tourist Season
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
France is used to seeing heavy tourism during the summer months – and the numbers are only expected to increase in 2018. The influx of travelers often means a greater target for crimes in common tourist locations, so the country is bracing itself by deploying 5,000 extra police officers to protect tourists coming into the country.
France has been sending the officers to the capital city since June 11 and will continue the effort until September 30. They’ll be placed in popular tourism stomping grounds around Paris in hopes of combatting the frequent crimes that occur like pickpocketing and other scams. The officers will be stationed at The Louvre, Montmartre, the Champs-Elysées, the Eiffel Tower, the Latin Quarter, Châtelet and Opéraand and the Trocadéro, among other locations.
What the officers will be prepared to look out for – and what you should look out for, too, if you’re headed to Paris – was outlined by Senior Paris Security Official Frédéric Dupuch. He told Le Parisien that, “90% of thefts that tourists suffer are from bag snatchers or street sellers, card sharks or people with fake petitions.”
Those crimes can take the forms of “magic shows as distractions, offering roses or CDs while walking, or fake taxis and police officers,” according to UK newssite Express. That means you should probably keep an extra close eye out for sketchy-looking street inhabiters that might be looking to take your money and/or belongings.
Even though France has suffered from high-profile terrorist attacks in recent years, tourism in the City of Light hasn’t slowed in the slightest. France was even recently ranked No. 61 on the Institute for Economics and Peace’s Global Peace Index, which is considered a “high” state of peace, according to the institute. By comparison, the US ranked No. 121.
Featured image by MIGUEL MEDINA/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees