Flying Under the Radar: Prince William and Kate Take $89 Flybe Flight to Scotland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Royals and their travels are in the news, again. No, it’s not because they flew a private jet. Quite the opposite, actually. On Thursday morning, Prince William and Kate were seen deplaning from a Flybe-marketed flight in Scotland — a ticket that, according to our searches on Google Flights, costs just $89 one-way.
As first reported by the Daily Mail, the couple and their three children were spotted leaving the plane into awaiting cars. The group departed from Norwich (NWI), traveling to Aberdeen (ABZ) to visit the Queen and Prince Philip at Balmoral.
According to flight-tracking website FlightAware, Flybe Flight 7622, which was operated by the carrier’s franchise partner Eastern Airways, departed NWI at 8:50 a.m. and arrived at ABZ at 9:55 am. Both the departure and arrival were on time for a total flight time of one hour and five minutes.
The flight was operated by one of Eastern Airways’ Embraer 145 aircraft, according to FlightRadar24. The aircraft, which is just more than 18 years old, was first delivered to Régional in April 2001, according to PlaneSpotters, and Eastern took delivery of the aircraft in August 2012.
“The family were sat right at the front,” a passenger also on the flight told the Daily Mail. “I fly this route all the time and we were none the wiser. No one knew they were on the flight. Later on I realized that Kate’s mother was sat a few rows in front of me.”
“We were delighted to welcome the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their family on board one of our flights again, this time when they flew from Norwich to Aberdeen with our franchise partner, Eastern Airways,” the airline said in a statement to TPG UK.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle came under fire earlier this week when a report surfaced that the duo traveled by private jet. Sir Elton John reportedly paid the carbon offset cost for the couple. A $89 Flybe ticket is quite the opposite of flying private.
Featured photo by Matt Cardy/Getty Images.
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees