Flying Under the Radar: Prince William and Kate Take $89 Flybe Flight to Scotland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Royals and their travels are in the news, again. No, it’s not because they flew a private jet. Quite the opposite, actually. On Thursday morning, Prince William and Kate were seen deplaning from a Flybe-marketed flight in Scotland — a ticket that, according to our searches on Google Flights, costs just $89 one-way.
As first reported by the Daily Mail, the couple and their three children were spotted leaving the plane into awaiting cars. The group departed from Norwich (NWI), traveling to Aberdeen (ABZ) to visit the Queen and Prince Philip at Balmoral.
According to flight-tracking website FlightAware, Flybe Flight 7622, which was operated by the carrier’s franchise partner Eastern Airways, departed NWI at 8:50 a.m. and arrived at ABZ at 9:55 am. Both the departure and arrival were on time for a total flight time of one hour and five minutes.
The flight was operated by one of Eastern Airways’ Embraer 145 aircraft, according to FlightRadar24. The aircraft, which is just more than 18 years old, was first delivered to Régional in April 2001, according to PlaneSpotters, and Eastern took delivery of the aircraft in August 2012.
“The family were sat right at the front,” a passenger also on the flight told the Daily Mail. “I fly this route all the time and we were none the wiser. No one knew they were on the flight. Later on I realized that Kate’s mother was sat a few rows in front of me.”
“We were delighted to welcome the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their family on board one of our flights again, this time when they flew from Norwich to Aberdeen with our franchise partner, Eastern Airways,” the airline said in a statement to TPG UK.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle came under fire earlier this week when a report surfaced that the duo traveled by private jet. Sir Elton John reportedly paid the carbon offset cost for the couple. A $89 Flybe ticket is quite the opposite of flying private.
Featured photo by Matt Cardy/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees