Normal operations as Flybe reportedly on brink of collapse
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Flybe is reported to have entered into survival talks for emergency financing with the British Government amid financial difficulties.
Sky News reports that accountancy firm EY has been put on standby to help the airline through potential a type of bankruptcy if needed. The airline’s large domestic network struggles to compete on some of its routes with road and rail land-based alternatives.
In a tweet on Sunday, Flybe implied that the news of its potential demise is only rumor and speculation.
As of Monday Jan. 13 in the afternoon, Flybe flights are operating as normal, and there is currently no sign of future cancellations.
Should the airline go under, passengers who purchased tickets directly through the airline would not covered by a British organization that refunds travelers. Passengers may be protected, however, if they booked through a tour company or travel agent.
Should Flybe go under, it would be a second devastating loss to the U.K. aviation industry in only a few months, following the collapse of Thomas Cook.
According to ITV, the Exeter-based airline, which operates 75 aircraft and employs more than 2,000 staff — is Europe’s largest regional carrier, flying eight million passengers a year.
Featured photo by Daniel Ross/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.