Normal operations as Flybe reportedly on brink of collapse
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Flybe is reported to have entered into survival talks for emergency financing with the British Government amid financial difficulties.
Sky News reports that accountancy firm EY has been put on standby to help the airline through potential a type of bankruptcy if needed. The airline’s large domestic network struggles to compete on some of its routes with road and rail land-based alternatives.
In a tweet on Sunday, Flybe implied that the news of its potential demise is only rumor and speculation.
As of Monday Jan. 13 in the afternoon, Flybe flights are operating as normal, and there is currently no sign of future cancellations.
Should the airline go under, passengers who purchased tickets directly through the airline would not covered by a British organization that refunds travelers. Passengers may be protected, however, if they booked through a tour company or travel agent.
Should Flybe go under, it would be a second devastating loss to the U.K. aviation industry in only a few months, following the collapse of Thomas Cook.
According to ITV, the Exeter-based airline, which operates 75 aircraft and employs more than 2,000 staff — is Europe’s largest regional carrier, flying eight million passengers a year.
Featured photo by Daniel Ross/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees