Flybe Plane Dropped 500 Feet in 18 Seconds, According to Formal Inquiry
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Flybe plane carrying 48 people took a 500-foot nosedive after the 60-year-old pilot erroneously selected the wrong autopilot setting just after takeoff, according to the results of an inquiry launched earlier this year.
The Bombardier Dash-8 Q400 turboprop plane traveling from Belfast City to Glasgow on January 11 had reached an altitude of 1,350 feet when it “pitched nose-down” toward the ground, according to the Air Accidents Investigation Branch report. The plane “had become visual with the ground” and reached a maximum rate of descent of 4,300ft/min, according to the report, and “descended rapidly” approximately 500 feet in 18 seconds after the autopilot had been set to a target altitude of 0 feet.
Flybe said built-in warning systems alerted the pilot to the problem, allowing him to take “remedial actions quickly in response” and fix the error at 928 feet. The flight then proceeded to Glasgow without further incident. Furthermore, the report stated that Flybe has taken “several safety actions” to improve future operations, including revisions to simulator training and amendments to the taxi checklist.
Flybe is a British low-cost carrier that ferries about 8 million passengers each year between 81 airports in the United Kingdom and across Europe.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees