Flybe Plane Dropped 500 Feet in 18 Seconds, According to Formal Inquiry
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Flybe plane carrying 48 people took a 500-foot nosedive after the 60-year-old pilot erroneously selected the wrong autopilot setting just after takeoff, according to the results of an inquiry launched earlier this year.
The Bombardier Dash-8 Q400 turboprop plane traveling from Belfast City to Glasgow on January 11 had reached an altitude of 1,350 feet when it “pitched nose-down” toward the ground, according to the Air Accidents Investigation Branch report. The plane “had become visual with the ground” and reached a maximum rate of descent of 4,300ft/min, according to the report, and “descended rapidly” approximately 500 feet in 18 seconds after the autopilot had been set to a target altitude of 0 feet.
Flybe said built-in warning systems alerted the pilot to the problem, allowing him to take “remedial actions quickly in response” and fix the error at 928 feet. The flight then proceeded to Glasgow without further incident. Furthermore, the report stated that Flybe has taken “several safety actions” to improve future operations, including revisions to simulator training and amendments to the taxi checklist.
Flybe is a British low-cost carrier that ferries about 8 million passengers each year between 81 airports in the United Kingdom and across Europe.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.