Fly to Europe From 12,250 Miles + Taxes With Flying Blue Promo Awards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
To The Point
You can fly to Europe from 12,250 miles plus taxes each way on Air France and KLM thanks to some brand new Flying Blue promo awards from Houston and Washington Dulles. Plus, well-priced business class awards are also still available via Flying Blue…
Last month some (negative) changes were made to the Air France/KLM frequent flyer program, Flying Blue. In fact, my favorite coverage of the new program was an article by Richard Kerr in which he basically just tries to explain the program in screenshots as there was no apparent rhyme or reason to when or why things price the way they do. However, don’t write the program off just because it is wonky. Flying Blue is a transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, and the Citi ThankYou program, so it is very relevant for pretty much all of us with rewards credit cards.
Additionally. Flying Blue offers monthly promo awards where select cities and cabins are available at up to 50% off the regular award price.
This month’s promo award caught my eye because Houston is on the list at 50% off the regular Flying Blue award price in economy, as is Washington Dulles. These discounts are valid for travel from August 31 – October 30, 2018, as long as you book before July 30, 2018. Based on my searches, this drops the award price down to 14,500 miles + $68 in taxes/fees one-way Houston to Paris on Air France and 12,250 miles + $68 in taxes/ fees from Houston to Amsterdam on KLM. From Washington Dulles, I found the same prices to Amsterdam on KLM and slightly lower prices on Air France to Paris at 13,750 miles + $68 in taxes.
Being able to fly from Houston to Europe nonstop for 12,250 miles + about $68 in taxes thanks to the promo award is very good all by itself, but something else caught my eye when I was doing test searches from Houston to Paris on Air France.
While economy awards are only 14,500 miles plus taxes, I was perhaps even more impressed that business class awards from Houston to Paris are only 66,500 + $218 in taxes/fees. This price isn’t earth shattering, but it is quite fair and I haven’t heard anyone mention these decently priced business class awards still being available after the recent changes made by Flying Blue. The good news is that they are still out there! I found the same prices and availability on the return, so you could go round trip from Houston to Paris for 133,000 miles that you can transfer in from Chase, Citi, and Amex, plus the taxes and fees.
If economy suits your needs from Houston or Dulles, then hop on this 50% off award sale before it ends on July 30, 2018.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees