Fly to Europe From 12,250 Miles + Taxes With Flying Blue Promo Awards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
To The Point
You can fly to Europe from 12,250 miles plus taxes each way on Air France and KLM thanks to some brand new Flying Blue promo awards from Houston and Washington Dulles. Plus, well-priced business class awards are also still available via Flying Blue…
Last month some (negative) changes were made to the Air France/KLM frequent flyer program, Flying Blue. In fact, my favorite coverage of the new program was an article by Richard Kerr in which he basically just tries to explain the program in screenshots as there was no apparent rhyme or reason to when or why things price the way they do. However, don’t write the program off just because it is wonky. Flying Blue is a transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, and the Citi ThankYou program, so it is very relevant for pretty much all of us with rewards credit cards.
Additionally. Flying Blue offers monthly promo awards where select cities and cabins are available at up to 50% off the regular award price.
This month’s promo award caught my eye because Houston is on the list at 50% off the regular Flying Blue award price in economy, as is Washington Dulles. These discounts are valid for travel from August 31 – October 30, 2018, as long as you book before July 30, 2018. Based on my searches, this drops the award price down to 14,500 miles + $68 in taxes/fees one-way Houston to Paris on Air France and 12,250 miles + $68 in taxes/ fees from Houston to Amsterdam on KLM. From Washington Dulles, I found the same prices to Amsterdam on KLM and slightly lower prices on Air France to Paris at 13,750 miles + $68 in taxes.
Being able to fly from Houston to Europe nonstop for 12,250 miles + about $68 in taxes thanks to the promo award is very good all by itself, but something else caught my eye when I was doing test searches from Houston to Paris on Air France.
While economy awards are only 14,500 miles plus taxes, I was perhaps even more impressed that business class awards from Houston to Paris are only 66,500 + $218 in taxes/fees. This price isn’t earth shattering, but it is quite fair and I haven’t heard anyone mention these decently priced business class awards still being available after the recent changes made by Flying Blue. The good news is that they are still out there! I found the same prices and availability on the return, so you could go round trip from Houston to Paris for 133,000 miles that you can transfer in from Chase, Citi, and Amex, plus the taxes and fees.
If economy suits your needs from Houston or Dulles, then hop on this 50% off award sale before it ends on July 30, 2018.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.