This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Queen Elizabeth 2 has just joined the list of hot hotels to look out for in 2018. Joining her sister ship the Queen Mary, the Queen Elizabeth 2 will be opening as a floating hotel in Dubai on April 18. PCFC Hotels, owned by the Dubai government and part of Dubai’s Ports, Customs & Free Zone Corporation, announced the opening of the famous ocean liner as the latest tourist attraction in Dubai.
Docked at Mina Rashid in Dubai, the world-renowned cruise ship will now feature more than 200 rooms and suites, 13 restaurants and entertainment venues and an interactive museum that showcases the retired ocean liner’s history.
The Queen Elizabeth 2, often referred to as QE2, was built for the Cunard Line in 1969. The ship has a long history of transporting thousands of voyages along the Atlantic Ocean from the UK to New York until 2008. On April 18, the QE2 will add to its history by opening to the public for a soft launch as a hotel. Guest will be able to explore several of the restored rooms and suites, as well as five of the 13 planned restaurants and bars.
Many of the rooms are refurnished but have the same interior design of the original ship—from the furniture, painting and restaurants. In addition to the rooms, several of the restaurants and bars from the ship’s sailing days have also been restored.
“To finally open the QE2 is a dream come true for my team and I,” PCFC Hotels Chief Executive Hamza Mustafa said in a statement. “It is one of Dubai’s most highly anticipated projects and we know that a lot of people are going to be very excited to see her for the first time, or to step back on board the vessel that created so many wonderful memories during her 40 years at sea.”
Mustafa added that more than 2.7 million hours were put into transforming the 13-deck ocean liner into the “multi-faceted tourist destination that she is today.”
The QE2 hotel will have its official grand launch in October 2018, and rooms are currently available to book.
Photo courtesy QE2
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards