Flintstone’s Bedrock City in Arizona Is Closing After This Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fans of the hit 1960s animated series, The Flintstones, will have one last opportunity to experience life in the Stone Age this summer. According to USA Today, Arizona’s Bedrock City will close its doors for good following the summer months. The theme park is expected to open for its last run sometime in June.
Thanks to the popularity of The Flintstones, a series which portrays a family living in Bedrock City during the Stone Age, two theme parks were subsequently created to capitalize on the TV show’s success. The first Flintstones-themed amusement park opened in 1966 in South Dakota. However, this location closed in 2015. The second location in Arizona has remained open — but not for much longer.
Though Bedrock City is set to close its doors for good, those wishing to experience the popular roadside theme-park have one last opportunity to get their fix. After abruptly closed in January of this year, Bedrock City, AZ will reopen to the public sometime in “mid to late June” USA Today reports. When the attraction does reopen for its last summer, the amusement park will offer falcon flight demonstrations, a sign of things to come as the space will be transformed into a new bird-themed attraction.
Troy Morris, one of the park’s new owners, told USA Today that, following this summer, Bedrock City will be rebranded as Raptor Ranch. Most of Bedrock City will be leveled and completely overhauled to make way for the new park. Raptor Ranch will serve as a wildlife education center that hopes to provide the public with a better understanding of birds of prey, according to the attraction’s official website. But not all hope is lost: Elements of the popular attraction will stick around following renovations, including the brontosaurus slide, which will serve as the centerpiece in a new children’s playground.
Bedrock City is located at 332 State Route 64 in Williams, AZ. Unfortunately, Williams, AZ, lacks any direct commercial airline service. If you’re hoping to cross Bedrock City off your list, expect to drive for much of the trip. Visitors can fly into Phoenix (PHX) and then make the three-hour drive, into Flagstaff (FLG) with an hour drive, or Las Vegas (LAS) with a three and a half hour drive. Nearby attractions include the Grand Canyon (only 30 miles away).
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Darren Murph/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.