Flintstone’s Bedrock City in Arizona Is Closing After This Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fans of the hit 1960s animated series, The Flintstones, will have one last opportunity to experience life in the Stone Age this summer. According to USA Today, Arizona’s Bedrock City will close its doors for good following the summer months. The theme park is expected to open for its last run sometime in June.
Thanks to the popularity of The Flintstones, a series which portrays a family living in Bedrock City during the Stone Age, two theme parks were subsequently created to capitalize on the TV show’s success. The first Flintstones-themed amusement park opened in 1966 in South Dakota. However, this location closed in 2015. The second location in Arizona has remained open — but not for much longer.
Though Bedrock City is set to close its doors for good, those wishing to experience the popular roadside theme-park have one last opportunity to get their fix. After abruptly closed in January of this year, Bedrock City, AZ will reopen to the public sometime in “mid to late June” USA Today reports. When the attraction does reopen for its last summer, the amusement park will offer falcon flight demonstrations, a sign of things to come as the space will be transformed into a new bird-themed attraction.
Troy Morris, one of the park’s new owners, told USA Today that, following this summer, Bedrock City will be rebranded as Raptor Ranch. Most of Bedrock City will be leveled and completely overhauled to make way for the new park. Raptor Ranch will serve as a wildlife education center that hopes to provide the public with a better understanding of birds of prey, according to the attraction’s official website. But not all hope is lost: Elements of the popular attraction will stick around following renovations, including the brontosaurus slide, which will serve as the centerpiece in a new children’s playground.
Bedrock City is located at 332 State Route 64 in Williams, AZ. Unfortunately, Williams, AZ, lacks any direct commercial airline service. If you’re hoping to cross Bedrock City off your list, expect to drive for much of the trip. Visitors can fly into Phoenix (PHX) and then make the three-hour drive, into Flagstaff (FLG) with an hour drive, or Las Vegas (LAS) with a three and a half hour drive. Nearby attractions include the Grand Canyon (only 30 miles away).
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Darren Murph/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees