Flights at Washington National Airport to be Halted During July 4 Events
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The “Salute to America” Fourth of July celebrations planned by President Trump will affect some travelers this Thursday, whether or not they’re planning to watch the fireworks.
The Federal Aviation Administration will suspend flight operations at Washington’s Reagan National Airport (DCA) during two windows Thursday evening, closing the airspace to accommodate a flyover of military aircraft and — later — a new location for the launch site of Washington’s annual fireworks demonstration.
The first airspace closure is scheduled to run from 6:15pm through 7:45pm for the flyover, which is not a normal July 4 occurrence at the Washington celebration but is being added this year at the request of the president.
The second, which coincides with the fireworks show, runs from 9pm to 9:45pm, according to the agency.
Related: Celebrating the Fourth of July in Washington DC — Things to Know
In a statement, the FAA said “aeromedical and emergency flights will be authorized as necessary. Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall and Dulles International Airports will not be affected.”
For those scheduled to fly into DCA during those windows, the agency recommends that flyers check with their airlines for flight updates. About 100 combined arrivals and departures are scheduled to operate to or from DCA during those times, according to data from flight-data company FlightStats.
American Airlines, the largest operator at the airport, said it had already reduced its schedule for the holiday based on customer demand.
Beyond American, that Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority that operates the airport also recommended that July 4 travelers check with their airlines for possible changes.
Featured photo by Robert Alexander/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees