Summer Storms Could Wreak Havoc for Weekend Travelers in the Northeast
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Summer storms are taking aim at major airports across the Northeastern US as travelers head home following the Fourth of July holiday. The storms, some of which are predicted to be severe, have prompted Delta to issue a travel waiver to minimize flight disruptions for passengers traveling through New York, Boston and Philadelphia.
While the Northeast is no stranger to summer storms, the latest round of inclement weather comes during one of the busiest times of the year for travel. Travelers passing through some of the nation’s busiest airports can expect lengthy delays and cancellations as storms make their way through the region.
The multiday weather event is predicted to take aim at major metro areas starting on Saturday and will persist into Sunday, tapering off in the evening. The storms are expected to bring torrential downpours, strong winds and hail to the Northeast.
As of 4 p.m. local time Saturday, only Delta Air Lines had issued a travel waiver through the evening allowing passengers to make changes to their itinerary free of charge. Though storms are expected to be widespread, Delta’s waiver only applies to the New York City area.
Delta NYC Travel Waiver
|Cities/Airports:||Travel Dates Eligible:||Travel By:||Ticket Purchased On or Before:|
Though Delta is the only airline offering an official travel waiver, other airlines may allow changes to itineraries on a case-by-case basis. We recommend contacting airlines either via social media or over the phone prior to arriving at the airport to see if your itinerary is eligible for waived change fees.
Already as of this afternoon, some New York City airports including New York-LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark (EWR) are experiencing departure delays averaging 105 minutes. New York-LaGuardia is currently the only airport in the region experiencing excessive arrival delays as well, with arriving flights delayed an average of 50 minutes. Philadelphia (PHL) and Boston (BOS) are experiencing minor delays at the moment, however, average delay times are increasing as storms begin to build up around the region.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image of a May 2019 storm in New York City by Gary Hershorn/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.