Summer Storms Could Wreak Havoc for Weekend Travelers in the Northeast
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Summer storms are taking aim at major airports across the Northeastern US as travelers head home following the Fourth of July holiday. The storms, some of which are predicted to be severe, have prompted Delta to issue a travel waiver to minimize flight disruptions for passengers traveling through New York, Boston and Philadelphia.
While the Northeast is no stranger to summer storms, the latest round of inclement weather comes during one of the busiest times of the year for travel. Travelers passing through some of the nation’s busiest airports can expect lengthy delays and cancellations as storms make their way through the region.
The multiday weather event is predicted to take aim at major metro areas starting on Saturday and will persist into Sunday, tapering off in the evening. The storms are expected to bring torrential downpours, strong winds and hail to the Northeast.
As of 4 p.m. local time Saturday, only Delta Air Lines had issued a travel waiver through the evening allowing passengers to make changes to their itinerary free of charge. Though storms are expected to be widespread, Delta’s waiver only applies to the New York City area.
Delta NYC Travel Waiver
|Cities/Airports:||Travel Dates Eligible:||Travel By:||Ticket Purchased On or Before:|
Though Delta is the only airline offering an official travel waiver, other airlines may allow changes to itineraries on a case-by-case basis. We recommend contacting airlines either via social media or over the phone prior to arriving at the airport to see if your itinerary is eligible for waived change fees.
Already as of this afternoon, some New York City airports including New York-LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark (EWR) are experiencing departure delays averaging 105 minutes. New York-LaGuardia is currently the only airport in the region experiencing excessive arrival delays as well, with arriving flights delayed an average of 50 minutes. Philadelphia (PHL) and Boston (BOS) are experiencing minor delays at the moment, however, average delay times are increasing as storms begin to build up around the region.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image of a May 2019 storm in New York City by Gary Hershorn/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees