First Lady Melania Trump’s Modified Boeing 757 Makes Emergency Landing as Smoke Fills Cabin
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The plane carrying first lady Melania Trump was forced to make an emergency landing on Wednesday after a “mechanical issue” led to smoke in the cabin.
According to the press pool that was traveling with Trump, the modified Boeing 757 was forced to turn back to Joint Base Andrews about 10 minutes after takeoff. According to CNN, reporters could see a thin haze of smoke and smell something burning. The aircraft landed safely and there was “no rush” to evacuate passengers.
Reporters who were on board were given wet towels and were told to hold them over their faces in order to breathe.
A crew member told a reporter on board that a “malfunctioning comms unit” was the cause of the incident. The White House did not immediately provide a comment or explanation. The press pool is being told that the trip to Philadelphia is being re-evaluated.
The first lady flies a Boeing C-32, a modified version of a Boeing 757-200. According to the Daily Mail, the aircraft is the same one that the first lady used to travel to Africa last month and is the same one routinely used by the Vice President as Air Force Two. Additionally, the C-32 has been used as Air Force One when an airport runway is too short to handle a 747.
Featured image by Pool / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees