Another Company Unveiled a Hyperloop Passenger Pod
While Elon Musk deals with an investigation by the Securities and Exchanges Commission, his vision of Hyperloop is coming closer and closer to fruition.
On Tuesday, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies (unaffiliated with Musk) unveiled the world’s first full-scale passenger hyperloop pod.
The capsule, which HTT hopes will hit speeds of 620 mph moving through vacuum-sealed tubes, was shown off in Puerto de Santa Maria, Spain, near its construction site. Named Quintero One, the vehicle measures 105 feet long and weighs five tons. Once the pod’s interior is completed, it should seat 28 to 40 passengers.
A video shows off how it was constructed:
Hyperloop Transportation Technologies developed a new material called Vibranium, a name that references a fictional metal that often appeared in Marvel comics, which the company calls the “safest material on Earth” and “intelligent” since it senses integrity and monitors impact — Vibranium coats the skin of the capsule and is essentially sensor-embedded carbon fiber. According to CNBC, HTT claims the material is “eight times stronger than steel and 10 times stronger than aluminum alternatives.”
Richard Branson-backed Virgin Hyperloop One is HTT’s most serious competitor — it’s been testing its pod in the Nevada desert and has developed a prototype passenger pod which it displayed in Dubai.
Not quite yet ready for passengers, HTT’s pod will be moved to Toulouse, France, where it will receive more additions and undergo tests at an HTT facility there. Unlike Virgin’s pod, HTT’s has not been tested in an active environment.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.