Another Company Unveiled a Hyperloop Passenger Pod
While Elon Musk deals with an investigation by the Securities and Exchanges Commission, his vision of Hyperloop is coming closer and closer to fruition.
On Tuesday, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies (unaffiliated with Musk) unveiled the world’s first full-scale passenger hyperloop pod.
The capsule, which HTT hopes will hit speeds of 620 mph moving through vacuum-sealed tubes, was shown off in Puerto de Santa Maria, Spain, near its construction site. Named Quintero One, the vehicle measures 105 feet long and weighs five tons. Once the pod’s interior is completed, it should seat 28 to 40 passengers.
A video shows off how it was constructed:
Hyperloop Transportation Technologies developed a new material called Vibranium, a name that references a fictional metal that often appeared in Marvel comics, which the company calls the “safest material on Earth” and “intelligent” since it senses integrity and monitors impact — Vibranium coats the skin of the capsule and is essentially sensor-embedded carbon fiber. According to CNBC, HTT claims the material is “eight times stronger than steel and 10 times stronger than aluminum alternatives.”
Richard Branson-backed Virgin Hyperloop One is HTT’s most serious competitor — it’s been testing its pod in the Nevada desert and has developed a prototype passenger pod which it displayed in Dubai.
Not quite yet ready for passengers, HTT’s pod will be moved to Toulouse, France, where it will receive more additions and undergo tests at an HTT facility there. Unlike Virgin’s pod, HTT’s has not been tested in an active environment.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees