Here’s Our Look at Delta’s First Airbus A220-100, Fresh out of the Paint Shop
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
If you concentrate, you can catch a whiff of that fresh paint smell. At long last, AvGeeks are being treated to the first images of a fully painted Airbus A220-100 in Delta livery.
Just Thursday night, the carrier’s first A220 rolled out of the paint shop at the A220 assembly line in Mirabel, Quebec. The painting process took nine days, 200 rolls of masking tape and 165 gallons (!) of paint to complete.
The aircraft, formerly known as the Bombardier CS100, is scheduled to begin service in early 2019, and will initially be used to fly some of Delta’s longer Delta Connection routes. Delta will be the first US airline to take delivery of the A220.
Julie Léveillé, an Airbus supervisor in the Mirabel paint shop, had this to say about the occasion: “It’s a tremendous feeling of accomplishment to know we just outfitted North America’s first A220 from tail to tip. I’ve been working in the paint shop for 15 years. It can be a challenging job, but seeing the finished product makes it worth it.”
Larry Cato, a program manager on Delta’s Fleet Management team, added on: “There’s nothing like seeing years of planning come together in the shape of a freshly painted aircraft. It’s a major milestone for the future of our fleet.”
As for the next step in the process? Once we’ve all had a moment to gawk, it will move on to final assembly in Mirabel before taking off for its first test flight later this fall.
If you’re looking to be among the first to ride a Delta A220 using points and miles, now’s a good time to boost your balances. Consider the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express which provides an additional 10,000 MQMs after reaching a certain level of spend. For avid Delta flyers, be sure to pore over our guide to choosing the best credit card for Delta loyalists.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.