Fire Scorches Princess Cruises’ Resort in the Bahamas
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A large-scale fire ripped through the Princess Cays, a resort on Princess Cruises’ private island in Eleuthera, the Bahamas, on Monday.
According to the cruise line, the fire began around 11pm on the south side of the island near the community of Bannerman Town. It raged for about an hour, encompassing several buildings before local firefighters extinguished the flames.
Unverified video footage of the conflagration was posted YouTube by Bahamas Press and shows the intensity of the blaze.
Currently, the cause of the fire is unknown and undergoing investigation. The scope of the damage is also unclear. TPG‘s request to Princess for more information were unreturned by time of publication. Fortunately, reports confirm that there were no injuries and no guests were on the island at the time of the fire, according to Fox News Travel.
As for the cruise line and the resort, Princess (which is owned by the Carnival Corporation) is looking into how the fire will impact future business. “The safety of our employees and guests is our number one priority. Any impact to future Princess ship calls is currently being assessed,” the company said in a statement.
Back in November, Princess was ranked the no. 5 best “cruise for the value” in the world. “Princess’ 17 ships target more adult travelers, especially on a longer voyage,” according to US News.
Featured image by George Rose/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.