Fire Scorches Princess Cruises’ Resort in the Bahamas
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A large-scale fire ripped through the Princess Cays, a resort on Princess Cruises’ private island in Eleuthera, the Bahamas, on Monday.
According to the cruise line, the fire began around 11pm on the south side of the island near the community of Bannerman Town. It raged for about an hour, encompassing several buildings before local firefighters extinguished the flames.
Unverified video footage of the conflagration was posted YouTube by Bahamas Press and shows the intensity of the blaze.
Currently, the cause of the fire is unknown and undergoing investigation. The scope of the damage is also unclear. TPG‘s request to Princess for more information were unreturned by time of publication. Fortunately, reports confirm that there were no injuries and no guests were on the island at the time of the fire, according to Fox News Travel.
As for the cruise line and the resort, Princess (which is owned by the Carnival Corporation) is looking into how the fire will impact future business. “The safety of our employees and guests is our number one priority. Any impact to future Princess ship calls is currently being assessed,” the company said in a statement.
Back in November, Princess was ranked the no. 5 best “cruise for the value” in the world. “Princess’ 17 ships target more adult travelers, especially on a longer voyage,” according to US News.
Featured image by George Rose/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees