Fire Rages at Newark Airport Parking Garage
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Firefighters battled a severe blaze on the roof of a parking garage at New Jersey’s Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) on Thursday morning.
More than a dozen vehicles were severely damaged in the fire, which was spitting thick columns of dark smoke into the air over the New York City area airport. There were no injuries, and the smoke did not interfere with operations, NBC New York reports.
— NBC New York (@NBCNewYork) January 31, 2019
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey told the AP that the fire began at 7am on the Terminal C garage rooftop. Officials said they were still investigating what started the blaze.
The airport said on Twitter Thursday that the parking garage would be closed until further notice.
#EWR Terminal C Level 1 Roadway is reopened. Due to icing conditions, there will be no access to the Terminal C Parking Garage until further notice. 
— Newark Liberty Airport (@EWRairport) January 31, 2019
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.