This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re ok with making the move to Finland, there are a bunch of jobs looking to outfit you with what would certainly fall into the “Dream Job” category. According to Forbes, there are companies looking to hire people to play with sled dogs, hunt down the Northern Lights, and cook delicious outdoor meals for travelers.
Forbes pulled together five of their favorite Finnish dream jobs (which you can see in full here), but the one that really stood out to us was the Photography Guide position with tour company Beyond Arctic.
Capturing the Northern Lights on a camera is not an easy task, but all it takes is experience shooting photos and a strong knowledge of the camera settings that highlight the aurora best. As a photography guide, you will lead travelers out into Lapland on the hunt for the Northern Lights. The job posting does require a B-driving license, as well as photography skills and the ability to speak fluent English (first aid skills, knowledge of other languages, and a hygiene certificate are plusses).
Another thing to note: You not only have to be ok with cold temperatures, you have to thrive in freezing temperatures. As someone who has gone on a Northern Lights hunt in northern Finland, it’s the kind of cold that will leave you breathless and kick your brain cells straight to the curb. A personal suggestion: Have a handful of jokes in your pocket and a killer hot chocolate recipe on hand to help distract cold tour-goers.
Beyond Arctic is looking for photography guides to cover winter 2018 and 2019, so act quick. If you’re one of the lucky chosen, you’ll start work in November 2018. But before you start planning your cross-ocean move, send your resume with the subject line of Photography Guide to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is another gig mentioned in the Forbes list that would be a disservice not to mention: Husky Guide. Personnel agency Lapland Staff is looking for some special dog fans to work as safari guides across Finland. These jobs not only require you to learn how to lead a dog sled and care for the dogs, but you will also be driving snowmobiles, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and ice fishing.
This is the perfect job for someone who loves dogs and also enjoys a good winter spot or five. For more information on becoming a husky guide, check out the job posting.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees