This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN
The foundation of any smart points strategy is getting in on welcome bonuses when they’re at all-time highs. The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN usually offers up to 75,000 points, but until August 8, Amex is offering a welcome bonus of up to 100,000 points after a total of $25,000 spend within the first 3 months — 50,000 points after $10,000 in purchases and another 50,000 points after an additional $15,000 in spend. I value Amex points at 1.9 cents apiece, so these 100,000 points are worth $1,900, making this offer a total no-brainer — especially if you can maximize the card’s other perks like:
- 5 points per dollar spent on flights booked through Amex Travel
- 5 points per dollar spent on prepaid hotels booked through Amex Travel
- 1.5 points per dollar on all purchases of $5,000 or more
- $200 annual Airline Fee Credit
- $100 Global Entry or $85 TSA PreCheck application fee credit
- Amex Centurion Lounge access
- Priority Pass membership
- Delta Sky Club access (when flying Delta)
- 35% rebate on Pay With Points redemptions for all first and business class flights
- 35% rebate on Pay With Points redemptions for all flights with one airline of your choice
- Hilton Honors Gold elite status
- SPG Gold elite status (which will become Marriott Gold on August 18)
- Elite status with Hertz, Avis and National car rental companies
- Access to Amex’s Fine Hotels & Resorts program
- 10 free annual Gogo inflight Wi-Fi passes
- Complimentary Boingo Wi-Fi membership
- No foreign transaction fees
I’ve had the Business Platinum for years (and I spent so much on it that Amex eventually invited me to get a Business Centurion, which I love and reviewed here). I think the Business Platinum is the best publicly available business credit card for perks, and if you can maximize the 5x on flights booked through Amex Travel and 50% point bonus for purchases over $5,000, the $450 annual fee is easy to recoup every year.
As we say with all amazing deals, they don’t last forever. Just like the Chase Sapphire Reserve had a 100,000-point offer that is now gone (potentially forever), we’ve heard rumblings from sources that this offer is likely not to come back ever again publicly. So if you’ve been on the sidelines, now is the time to act.