TSA Finds 1 Million Lethal Doses of Fentanyl in Bag at Nashville Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Almost five pounds of the deadly opioid fentanyl was discovered by Transportation Security Administration agents in checked bags that were flying into Nashville’s Airport (BNA) this week.
TSA found a large package in the checked luggage of passenger Reem Ibrahim. The security officers believed it was marijuana, and they also found two kilogram-sized bundles wrapped in plastic. TSA alerted the Drug Enforcement Administration, who warned law enforcement on the ground in Nashville about the suspicious suitcases.
Ibrahim, 22, was stopped by the police when she claimed the two pieces of luggage in Nashville. The officers searched her suitcases and found one of the bags contained 25 pounds of marijuana and two kilogram-sized packages that were later discovered to be fentanyl. Officials say that quantity equals about 1 million fatal does of the dangerous opioid. Law enforcement initially field-tested the fentanyl and believed it was cocaine. Officers also discovered Ibrahim’s second suitcase was concealing an additional 25 pounds of marijuana.
The woman claims she was promised $1,000 to bring the bags to Nashville from Phoenix and that she didn’t know what was inside. Ibrahim was arrested and charged with possession and intent to resell cocaine and marijuana. The cocaine charge will later be corrected to fentanyl.
Drug smuggling attempts from airline passengers are not that uncommon — though most drug mules are usually caught by the authorities. In August, for example, a Missouri nun was busted at Sydney’s airport (SYD) trying to smuggle cocaine in her high heeled shoe. And earlier in October, a Cypriot tourist was arrested, also at SYD, for trying to smuggle $3.5 million worth of meth into the country.
Featured image of the concealed fentanyl by Metro Nashville Police Department.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees