TSA Finds 1 Million Lethal Doses of Fentanyl in Bag at Nashville Airport
Almost five pounds of the deadly opioid fentanyl was discovered by Transportation Security Administration agents in checked bags that were flying into Nashville’s Airport (BNA) this week.
TSA found a large package in the checked luggage of passenger Reem Ibrahim. The security officers believed it was marijuana, and they also found two kilogram-sized bundles wrapped in plastic. TSA alerted the Drug Enforcement Administration, who warned law enforcement on the ground in Nashville about the suspicious suitcases.
Ibrahim, 22, was stopped by the police when she claimed the two pieces of luggage in Nashville. The officers searched her suitcases and found one of the bags contained 25 pounds of marijuana and two kilogram-sized packages that were later discovered to be fentanyl. Officials say that quantity equals about 1 million fatal does of the dangerous opioid. Law enforcement initially field-tested the fentanyl and believed it was cocaine. Officers also discovered Ibrahim’s second suitcase was concealing an additional 25 pounds of marijuana.
The woman claims she was promised $1,000 to bring the bags to Nashville from Phoenix and that she didn’t know what was inside. Ibrahim was arrested and charged with possession and intent to resell cocaine and marijuana. The cocaine charge will later be corrected to fentanyl.
Drug smuggling attempts from airline passengers are not that uncommon — though most drug mules are usually caught by the authorities. In August, for example, a Missouri nun was busted at Sydney’s airport (SYD) trying to smuggle cocaine in her high heeled shoe. And earlier in October, a Cypriot tourist was arrested, also at SYD, for trying to smuggle $3.5 million worth of meth into the country.
Featured image of the concealed fentanyl by Metro Nashville Police Department.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.