A Female Passenger Was Allegedly Sexually Assaulted on a Southwest Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Reports of sexual harassment and assault on US commercial flights keep pouring in this year.
Add to the list an incident on a Southwest flight Sunday night from Houston to Nashville. Court documents state that the unidentified female passenger briefly spoke to the man sitting next to her, Alfredo Vela IV, who she did not know before the flight. She then fell asleep in her seat, Dallas News reports.
An unspecified amount of time later, the woman was awakened by Vela, 30, rubbing her back with his hand. He also touched her inner thigh, her breast and tried to put his hand up her shirt, the woman told law enforcement officials. According to the documents, the woman said she “froze in fear” during the incident. She later informed flight attendants who requested law enforcement meet the flight at its gate when it landed in Nashville at 9:30pm.
Vela was then arrested at the Nashville Airport. The Houston resident was taken to Davidson County Jail and was charged with sexual battery. He posted the $5,000 bail on Monday morning.
The incident is the latest in a string of similar assaults on commercial flights. The FBI said in June that reports of mid-flight sexual assault are rising at “an alarming rate,” spiking 66% from 2014 to 2017, but the national law enforcement agency “isn’t sure why.” In 2017, the bureau opened 63 in-flight sexual assault cases, compared to just 38 in 2014. “These acts are felonies, which can land an offender in prison for 10 years — or, if aggravated — to life,” Assistant Special Agent Brian Nadeau said.
One perpetrator is facing a possible life sentence for an in-flight sexual assault on a Spirit Airlines flight in January. Both Delta and United are facing lawsuits from passengers who were sexually assaulted on board flights but say those airlines did not do enough in response to sexual attacks from male passengers.
Featured image by Gades Photography on Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees