This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The US Food and Drug Administration is warning consumers to beware of companies that falsely advertise pills that will keep you safe from the harmful effects of sun exposure.
On Tuesday, FDA issued warning letters to four companies for illegally marketing pills that could prevent sunburn. These companies — marketing products like Advanced Skin Brightening Formula, Sunsafe Rx, Solaricare and Sunergetic are claiming to protect consumers from the harms of sun exposure, protect from the risks of skin cancer or reduce early skin aging caused by the sun without meeting the FDA’s safety and effectiveness standards.
“We’ve found products purporting to provide protection from the sun that aren’t delivering the advertised benefits. Instead they’re misleading consumers, and putting people at risk.” FDA Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb said in a news release.
For example, the website of one of the companies, Sunsafe Rx, states that the supplement “protects your skin and eyes from the sun” with just one capsule per day. Sunsafe Rx’s product is not generally recognized as safe and effective for the above referenced uses and, therefore fails to bear adequate directions for its intended use, according to the FDA.
Dr. Scott Gottlieb added that consumers should be watchful for companies making similar claims because “no pill or capsule can replace your sunscreen.”
Experts estimate that one in five Americans is at risk of developing skin cancer in his or her lifetime, with cases of the deadliest form of skin cancer — melanoma — being traced back to overexposure to UV light. Exposure to natural and artificial UV light put people at risk for skin cancer. So it is important to take the necessary precaution in protecting your skin.
As the FDA Commissioner noted, nothing offers better protection from the summer rays than good old fashioned sunscreen.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards