FDA approves emergency use of COVID screening device
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued emergency use authorization for a screening device that identifies biomarkers that may indicate COVID-19 infection. The Tiger Tech COVID Plus Monitor has already been utilized by homeless shelters, Mt. Sinai Hospital in Miami and on high school sports teams in Las Vegas.
Harrison Wittels, Tiger Tech’s Chief Executive Officer, says: “We see this as a possible game-changer for the travel industry. It can be used on cruise ships, transportation hubs, excursions, and even in hotels. We believe our device can play a major role in allowing things to reopen quicker and, most importantly, safer.”
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
How it works
The Tiger Tech COVID Plus Monitor is an armband equipped with light sensors and a small computer processor. It must be worn for 3-5 minutes, during which biometric abnormalities are checked against COVID patterns. The technology is believed to be so effective that it’s able to identify COVID in asymptomatic individuals.
Tiger Tech’s Chief Medical Officer and practicing anesthesiologist Dr. S. Howard Wittels says, “COVID-19 is causing hematological problems in patients…supportive care is being given based on the severity of a patient’s symptoms. For this reason, the sooner you can identify systemic issues, the better the chances are for a positive outcome. We believe our monitor can improve patient care and clinician safety.”
Tiger Tech hopes the COVID Plus Monitor will be widely used at schools, airports, corporate offices and on cruise lines to track the spread of COVID and facilitate a return to normalcy.
The device was tested on over 500 individuals and was deemed 98.6% accurate in correctly identifying positive cases and 94.5% accurate in correctly identifying negative ones.
Featured image by Daniel SLIM / AFP) (Photo by DANIEL SLIM/AFP via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.