FDA approves emergency use of COVID screening device
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued emergency use authorization for a screening device that identifies biomarkers that may indicate COVID-19 infection. The Tiger Tech COVID Plus Monitor has already been utilized by homeless shelters, Mt. Sinai Hospital in Miami and on high school sports teams in Las Vegas.
Harrison Wittels, Tiger Tech’s Chief Executive Officer, says: “We see this as a possible game-changer for the travel industry. It can be used on cruise ships, transportation hubs, excursions, and even in hotels. We believe our device can play a major role in allowing things to reopen quicker and, most importantly, safer.”
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
How it works
The Tiger Tech COVID Plus Monitor is an armband equipped with light sensors and a small computer processor. It must be worn for 3-5 minutes, during which biometric abnormalities are checked against COVID patterns. The technology is believed to be so effective that it’s able to identify COVID in asymptomatic individuals.
Tiger Tech’s Chief Medical Officer and practicing anesthesiologist Dr. S. Howard Wittels says, “COVID-19 is causing hematological problems in patients…supportive care is being given based on the severity of a patient’s symptoms. For this reason, the sooner you can identify systemic issues, the better the chances are for a positive outcome. We believe our monitor can improve patient care and clinician safety.”
Tiger Tech hopes the COVID Plus Monitor will be widely used at schools, airports, corporate offices and on cruise lines to track the spread of COVID and facilitate a return to normalcy.
The device was tested on over 500 individuals and was deemed 98.6% accurate in correctly identifying positive cases and 94.5% accurate in correctly identifying negative ones.
Featured image by Daniel SLIM / AFP) (Photo by DANIEL SLIM/AFP via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees