Faroe Islands to New York Route Likely to Launch in 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Faroe Islands, which have recently caught the eye of travel bloggers and adventurous travelers as tourism to the islands expands, are about to become way more accessible in 2019. According to OneMileAtATime, Atlantic Airways, the primary airline for the self-governing archipelago, has filed paperwork with the US Department of Transportation for the rights to fly between New York City. The filing is dated December 14th, with Atlantic Airways requesting the rights to fly between the Faroe Islands and the New York area as soon as next summer.
The Faroe Islands are situated in the North Atlantic Ocean, located 200 miles northwest of Scotland and sit roughly halfway between Norway and Iceland. Home to just 51,000 full-time residents, the Faroe Islands are officially part of the Kingdom of Denmark. The Faroe Islands are relatively small, covering just 540 square miles, but are home to beautiful sweeping cliffs, fantastic hiking trails and historic villages.
Though travel to the nation is desirable, it is still fairly inaccessible. As of December 15th, the only way someone from the United States can directly access the Faroe Islands using a single itinerary is by flying on a combination of Star Alliance airlines such as United and SAS with a stop in Copenhagen. The least expensive round-trip ticket between New York City in the middle of winter costs $572.
However, flights are quite limited, especially from secondary US cities. The only three airlines serving the Faroe Islands (FAE) are Scandinavian Airlines (SAS), Atlantic Airways and Atlantic Airways Helicopter. Atlantic Airways, as the main carrier for the Faroe Islands, serves by far the most destinations, including cities like Bergen/Oslo (BER), Copenhagen (CPH), and Reykjavik (KEF), with seasonal service to Portugal, Spain and Scotland. The airline operates a fleet of just three aircraft: two Airbus a319-100s and one Airbus a320-200. However, the airline is expected to take delivery of its fourth aircraft, an Airbus a320neo, in March 2019. This aircraft will allow the airline to fly nonstop between destinations in the US and the islands.
While this is certainly exciting news, it by no means guarantees the commencement of nonstop flights between the United States and the Faroe Islands. Not only does the US Department of Transportation have to grant access to Atlantic Airways, but the airline must also take delivery of its Airbus a320neo in a timely manner. There are a slew of issues that could hinder a small airline like Atlantic Airways from successfully launching a nonstop flight to the US, including government red tape, maintenance issues and crew scheduling. Nonetheless, Atlantic Airways has set its target date as late summer 2019 for nonstop flights to the United States via New York City.
Feature image by Atlantic Airways
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees