Family Loses $58,100 of Life Savings in US Customs Airport Seizure
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Albanian immigrant family from Ohio lost their life savings of $58,100 at an airport in October after US Customs and Border Protection seized it at a security checkpoint.
Rustem Kazazi, a 64-year-old Albanian immigrant who lives in Ohio, planned on traveling back to Albania in October for six months to visit extended family who were struggling financially and to purchase a vacation house for his upcoming retirement. In preparation for the trip, Kazazi reduced his family’s life savings to cash to avoid bank fees, according to a federal lawsuit Kazazi filed Thursday against US Customs and Border Protection.
As Kazazi was going through security at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE), officials found the money in his bag, which was in an envelope with “$58,100” written on the front. Kazazi was then strip-searched by US Customs officers and interrogated without a translator, even though he requested one. The officers then seized the money through a civil forfeiture process and did not formally charge Kazazi with any crime.
“We’re encountering a situation where law enforcement sees somebody with legal cash, assumes they must have done something criminal, and they just take the money,” Wesley Hottot, an attorney with the Institute for Justice who represents the Kazazis, said in a statement.
TPG reached out to The US Customs and Border Protection, but they declined to comment on pending litigation.
Featured image by danielfela/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.