This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Albanian immigrant family from Ohio lost their life savings of $58,100 at an airport in October after US Customs and Border Protection seized it at a security checkpoint.
Rustem Kazazi, a 64-year-old Albanian immigrant who lives in Ohio, planned on traveling back to Albania in October for six months to visit extended family who were struggling financially and to purchase a vacation house for his upcoming retirement. In preparation for the trip, Kazazi reduced his family’s life savings to cash to avoid bank fees, according to a federal lawsuit Kazazi filed Thursday against US Customs and Border Protection.
As Kazazi was going through security at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE), officials found the money in his bag, which was in an envelope with “$58,100” written on the front. Kazazi was then strip-searched by US Customs officers and interrogated without a translator, even though he requested one. The officers then seized the money through a civil forfeiture process and did not formally charge Kazazi with any crime.
“We’re encountering a situation where law enforcement sees somebody with legal cash, assumes they must have done something criminal, and they just take the money,” Wesley Hottot, an attorney with the Institute for Justice who represents the Kazazis, said in a statement.
TPG reached out to The US Customs and Border Protection, but they declined to comment on pending litigation.
Featured image by danielfela/Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees