This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Albanian immigrant family from Ohio lost their life savings of $58,100 at an airport in October after US Customs and Border Protection seized it at a security checkpoint.
Rustem Kazazi, a 64-year-old Albanian immigrant who lives in Ohio, planned on traveling back to Albania in October for six months to visit extended family who were struggling financially and to purchase a vacation house for his upcoming retirement. In preparation for the trip, Kazazi reduced his family’s life savings to cash to avoid bank fees, according to a federal lawsuit Kazazi filed Thursday against US Customs and Border Protection.
As Kazazi was going through security at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE), officials found the money in his bag, which was in an envelope with “$58,100” written on the front. Kazazi was then strip-searched by US Customs officers and interrogated without a translator, even though he requested one. The officers then seized the money through a civil forfeiture process and did not formally charge Kazazi with any crime.
“We’re encountering a situation where law enforcement sees somebody with legal cash, assumes they must have done something criminal, and they just take the money,” Wesley Hottot, an attorney with the Institute for Justice who represents the Kazazis, said in a statement.
TPG reached out to The US Customs and Border Protection, but they declined to comment on pending litigation.
Featured image by danielfela/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*