Family’s Dog Stuck in Germany, Deemed ‘Not Fit’ to Fly
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the latest pets on plane debacle, a family’s dog has been stranded in Germany after being deemed “not fit to fly” because it had become anxious before takeoff last week.
Dawn and John MacEnulty had booked themselves on a United flight from Frankfurt (FRA) to Chicago (ORD). The couple is moving back to the US after spending a year living in Germany, and they wanted to fly their pets back to the US, too.
Because United has suspended its PetSafe program — after accidentally flying a Kansas family’s dog to Japan — the MacEnultys opted to fly their cat Molly and dog Joey with a third-party operator, Gradlyn Petshipping, per United’s recommendation.
The two pets were booked on a Lufthansa flight scheduled to depart Germany a half hour after the MacEnultys. When the couple landed in Chicago, they received a text that their dog was taken off the plane because he was anxious and had scratched his nose. Their cat boarded the flight and arrived that Thursday night as scheduled.
Lufthansa Group said in a statement to NBC 5 Chicago that the family’s dog was “kept from flying and remained from Frankfurt as he was not fit to fly according to the veterinarian that examined the animal.”
Video of the dog, which is a 9-year-old beagle and Australian shepherd mix, showed him frantically biting at his cage with blood on his nose.
A Lufthansa spokesperson told Fox News the following about Joey the dog’s situation:
“At Lufthansa Group, the safety, health and security of our passengers is the utmost of importance and a first priority. The same standards hold true for any animal that we transport through Lufthansa Cargo. The MacEnulty family dog, Joey, was scheduled to fly home on March 28, 2018 (today), but upon careful examination, our experts agreed that the animal is still unable to fly due to his panicked reaction upon being placed in the transport kennel. Our customer relations team is in communication with the family and our professionals must make sure that Joey is first calm and fit to fly before he is admitted onboard.”
The spokesperson said that in the meantime, Joey is staying in a dog hotel in Germany where he can be comfortable and has space to run around.
The MacEnultys said a US veterinarian gave the dog a prescription for anxiety medication when they flew to Germany a year ago, but they couldn’t get a German vet to make the same prescription.
“Under German law, veterinarians are advised not give medication to animals while inflight as it affects their circulation,” the Lufthansa spokesperson told Fox. “Also, once it wears off, we run into the same problem again.”
John MacEnulty flew back to Germany last week to be with Joey, but it is unclear when the two will be able to return to the US. Both United and Lufthansa have offered to fly the dog back to the US free of charge.
Featured image by the MacEnulty family.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees