This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
More people than ever will be taking to the skies this year for Labor Day, the holiday weekend that marks the unofficial close of summer.
An estimated 17.5 million passengers will fly between Aug. 28 and Sept. 3 this year, according to the trade group Airlines for America (A4A). That’s up from the 16.9 million that flew around the long weekend in 2018.
Aug. 30 is expected to be the peak of the end-of-summer rush this year, with A4A predicting that US airlines will carry 2.98 million passengers.
“With fares at historic lows and customer satisfaction at historic highs, travelers continue to take to the skies in record numbers,” John Heimlich, A4A’s chief economist, said in a statement.
Southwest, American and United are still struggling to maintain their full schedules as the 737 MAX grounding continues. But even so, US carriers are collectively adding a total of 109,000 seats per day to accommodate the extra demand over the holiday weekend, A4A said.
If you’re heading to the airport, make sure to leave extra time for security — bigger crowds almost always mean longer lines at TSA checkpoints. And, if you haven’t already, check out TPG’s credit card recommendations to find one that will help you get PreCheck. Those lines will likely be longer than usual, too, but at least you’ll get to keep your shoes on.
Featured photo by John Greim/LightRocket via Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees