This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United’s first Polaris Lounge launched at Chicago O’Hare (ORD) in December 2016, and then we had to wait nearly 18 months for the next location to open, at San Francisco International Airport (SFO). So imagine my surprise when an invitation for a third lounge preview hit my inbox this morning, just a couple weeks after that gigantic 28,120-square-foot space finally became available at SFO.
The airline’s inviting journalists to take a look at the brand-new Newark (EWR) Polaris Lounge on May 31, ahead of its grand opening on Monday, June 4.
As with the SFO location, United’s keeping a tight lid on the details, but we do know that it’s taking over the entire space that had been occupied by the airport’s largest United Club, so — while not nearly as large as the lounge in San Francisco — it should be a decent size.
According to United’s “Polaris Tracker” website, the airline’s still on track to open two more locations before the year is through — Houston (IAH) is scheduled to open this summer, while Los Angeles (LAX) is expected to welcome guests beginning in the fall.
Note that although the EWR Polaris Lounge has taken over the space previously occupied by a United Club, access will be much more limited. To get in, you’ll need to be traveling long-haul in one of the following cabins:
- United Polaris first class (with one guest)
- United Polaris business class
- Star Alliance long-haul first class (with one guest)
- Star Alliance long-haul business class
There aren’t any exceptions for top-tier elites — even United Global Services members traveling in domestic first class or regional business won’t have access — but this new option should definitely help to reduce congestion at Newark’s United Club lounges, since biz-class customers will obviously want to visit the Polaris Lounge, instead.
Stay tuned for much more on May 31!
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees