This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – View the current offers here – Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card
These days, it seems everything has a holiday. On Tuesday, it was the cheeseburger’s turn to be celebrated with hashtags and promotional deals.
Burger joints across the US are celebrating National Cheeseburger Day with discounts, giveaways and more. With cheeseburgers as cheap as $1, fast food chains are practically begging you to grab a bite. Even airports like LaGuardia (LGA) have quick places like Shake Shack to get your burger fix. If a cheeseburger before your flight today sounds like something you need, the Transportation Security Administration wants to remind you that you’re allowed to bring it through airport security.
Celebrate #NationalCheeseburgerDay by grabbing a to-go order for your flight. Burgers and sandwiches are allowed through the security checkpoint in your carry-on luggage. #TravelTips pic.twitter.com/Qg65eebZRR
— TSA (@TSA) September 18, 2018
This isn’t the first time TSA has chimed in on the kinds of food you can take through security. Sometimes the agency will request you remove snacks from your carry-on, but only as a way to help the officers in getting a clear view of inside your carry-on. If Chrissy Teigen can bring her emotional support casserole through security, you can definitely bring a burger. However, if you’re bringing along frozen goods, TSA suggests checking those items.
Of course, if you’re looking to maximize your cheeseburger purchase consider using any card that gives you the best dining rewards, like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier Card or the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card. (The information for the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.)
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards