EVA Air Flights Snarled as Strike Enters Second Week
Flight cancellations are roiling operations at Taiwanese carrier EVA Air for a second consecutive week because of a flight attendant walkout. The strike, now entering its 12th day, has led to flight cancellations on many of the carrier’s high-profile international routes, including to Los Angeles, San Francisco and other US destinations.
The Straits Times of Singapore reported that the union had voted to end the strike following negotiations with airline management, but that talks fell apart after an agreement couldn’t be reached over wages and working conditions.
The Star Alliance member will resume conversations with the union on Tuesday, The Bangkok Post reported. The airline said that upwards of 2,000 flights could be cancelled as a result of the walkout.
Despite potentially causing inconveniences for passengers, there appears to be a great deal of public support for the flight attendants, according to the DPA news agency.
While it’s still unclear when the strike will end, EVA hopes to resume normal operations soon.
“We are doing our best to return service to our regular schedule as quickly as possible,” said EVA on via a strike information page posted to its website.
Featured photo by FG/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees