European Regulator Recommends A380 Wing Inspections
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines flying some of the oldest Airbus A380s would have to inspect those aircraft’s wings for cracks, according to a proposed airworthiness directive released last week by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA).
Some such cracks have already been reported by airlines, and they could cause structural issues if not addressed, according to EASA.
The airworthiness directive, if approved, would affect only the 25 oldest A380s. It would allow airlines to conduct the inspections and repairs during regular heavy maintenance, so long as they are carried out within 15 years of the wing’s original manufacture date.
The Airbus A380 will soon be out of production, but it’s still flying for a number of airlines around the world. Emirates, Singapore, Qantas, Air France, Lufthansa and HiFly will all be affected if EASA’s airworthiness directive goes into effect, according to data from airfleets.net.
Featured photo by Mustafa Yalcin/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.