Half of All European Flights Delayed Due to Computer Glitch
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As a result, about half of the flights on the continent are predicted to have some sort of delay while the glitch is sorted out. The aviation organization said it would cancel 10% of European flights to help solve the issue.
The computer problem led to a failure of the Enhanced Tactical Flow Management System (ETFMS), which regulates the flow of flights around Europe’s air space. Eurocontrol’s associated flight plan system was also affected, meaning that flight plans for planes that had not yet departed were lost.
There were nearly 29,500 flights expected through the European network, half of which would experience delays. Eurocontrol said it successfully identified that problem with the ETFMS and was working on fixing it. It estimated that normal operations would resume later Tuesday night, and it was asking carriers to refile flight plans for affected aircraft.
Brussels Airport (BRU) was among the worst affected by the system outage. It was forced to operate at a reduced capacity of only 10 departures per hour.
Due to the @Eurocontrol system failure departures are now limited to 10/hour at #brusselsairport. We’re now assessing the impact for the next few hours and we’ll keep you up-to-date. https://t.co/ENMaLwktqg
— Brussels Airport (@BrusselsAirport) April 3, 2018
Eurocontrol said its air traffic control operations were not directly affected, and there were no further safety implications stemming from the system failure.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees