The EU wants to add a 9-month limit to vaccine eligibility for entry
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this year, the EU reopened to vaccinated travelers after more than a year of border closures. Many countries were allowed to safely reopen with the EU Digital COVID Certificate rollout — and more than 650 million certificates have been issued since this summer.
Yet, the fight to end the COVID-19 pandemic isn’t over. Today, the EU Commission has announced that it is considering a nine-month vaccine validity mandate for travelers as COVID-19 cases are soaring in parts of Europe.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
This nine-month window is based on the guidance of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), giving three additional months to the current recommendation of receiving a booster shot six months after the last dose.
“We have vaccinated over 65% of the total EU population, but this is not enough,” said Stella Kyriakides, Commissioner for Health and Food Safety for the EU Commission. “There are still too many people who are not protected. For everyone to travel and live as safely as possible, we need to reach significantly higher vaccination rates – urgently.”
This proposal is twofold — encouraging those who are unvaccinated to receive their first set of shots and recommending those who are already vaccinated to get their boosters as soon as they become accessible.
Didier Reynders, Commissioner for Justice, said, “Based on our common tool, the EU Digital COVID Certificate, which has become a real standard, we are moving to a ‘person-based’ approach. Our main objective is [to] avoid diverging measures throughout the EU.”
If you have a valid EU Digital COVID Certificate, the EU Commission proposes that you should not be subject to additional tests or quarantine within the EU, based on this person-based approach. However, for those without a certificate, you could be subject to a COVID-19 test before or after arrival.
However, the Commission does not have a clear stance yet on the validity of booster shots. “Given the emerging data, it can be expected that protection from booster vaccinations may last longer than that resulting from the primary vaccination series. The Commission will closely monitor newly emerging scientific evidence on this issue. On the basis of such evidence, the Commission may, if needed, propose an appropriate acceptance period also for vaccination certificates issued following a booster.”
The EU Commission aims to provide further guidance no later than Jan. 10, 2022 — so stay tuned if a nine-month validity period will apply for entry into the EU.
Featured photo by Photo by ERIC LALMAND/BELGA/AFP for Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees