Etihad Airways’ stopover program is back — here’s how to book
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Etihad Airways flyers can once again participate in the airline’s stopover program, which allows travelers to schedule extended layovers through its base at Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH) at certain hotels for a discounted rate.
“Pick from three stopover options to explore the city we call home,” says Eithad, which provides stopover packages for travelers in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, for just a few days up to a week, along with those just transiting.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Three stopover options
First up is the “Best of Abu Dhabi” package, where travelers can book stays from two to six nights at nearly 30 four- and five-star hotels, up to 40% off.
This package is the most inclusive, offering 24-hour check-in, a breakfast buffet and in-room Wi-Fi. It also includes a choice of room types at select hotels like the Andaz Capital Gate, Fairmont Bab al Bahr, Park Hyatt Abu Dhabi Hotel and Villas, Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, The St. Regis Abu Dhabi and The Westin Abu Dhabi Golf Resort and Spa, among others.
All hotels are subject to availability and certain blackout dates may apply. Reservations must be made at least 72 hours in advance of arrival, for travel completed by Dec. 20.
The second option, “Stopover on us,” also allows travelers to book stays up to 40% off, but at three- and four-star hotels instead. These options include Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham, Premier Inn Abu Dhabi Capital Centre, Ramada Abu Dhabi Downtown and Tryp by Wyndham Abu Dhabi.
“Stopover on us” bookings must be made by June 30, for use through Dec. 20.
Lastly, passengers can make the most of longer connections, anywhere from 10-24 hours, by booking a complimentary one-night stay at two hotels: the Premier Inn Abu Dhabi Airport or Premier Inn Abu Dhabi Capital Centre.
This is for economy, business-class and first-class ticket holders flying on eligible routes, which exclude certain routes within the Middle East.
You can book a “Transit connect” package at least five days prior to arrival, but bookings can only be made upfront for outbound flights. Once that flight is completed, you can request it be added to your return flight home.
“Transit connect” is valid for travel booked and completed by Dec. 31.
All bookings must be made by travelers age 21 and older and the offer isn’t valid for frequent flyer redemption bookings, award upgrades or cash-plus-miles promotions. However, guests can earn points by participating in the “Best of Abu Dhabi” program, so be sure to add your loyalty number to your reservation upon arrival.
Additional terms and conditions apply to each program, so double-check before you book.
How to book an Etihad stopover
To take advantage of one of the stopover programs, start by booking a multicity flight through the airline for an economy, business-class or first-class fare, connecting through AUH.
For example, you could book a multicity trip from New York (John F. Kennedy International Airport) to Mumbai (Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport) connecting through Abu Dhabi each way, allowing you to participate in the stopover program on your outgoing flight. That two-night stay in Abu Dhabi would be eligible for the “Best of Abu Dhabi” or “Stopover on us” program.
Once you have your booking reference and ticket number, take that information and select a participating hotel from the list.
Once you complete the booking, look out for an email with a hotel voucher.
These stopovers are available for adult passengers flying anywhere within the Etihad global network, transiting via Abu Dhabi.
Additionally, Etihad travelers can use their boarding pass for more deals and discounts on activities within a five-day period on the ground in Abu Dhabi, ranging from restaurants to theme parks and spas. Browse the list of eligible activities here.
Additonal reporting by Lori Zaino.
Featured photo of Etihad Towers in Abu Dhabi by Buena Vista Images/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees