This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ethiopian Airlines is terminating its 4x weekly service between Los Angeles and Addis Ababa, first launched in June 2015. The last flight will depart on December 14.
The LAX-ADD route is best known amongst AvGeeks for its stop in Dublin with pick-up privileges, which allows passengers to travel between California and Ireland on one of TPG‘s favorite fifth freedom routes (No. 8 on this list). The unique transatlantic Dreamliner route was a popular option for traveling in lie-flat business class on a Star Alliance partner. The airline still operates three routes with US destinations: Chicago, Newark and Washington Dulles. However, none of these routes offer fifth freedom privileges, since the Washington Dulles route stops in Dublin to refuel but does not allow the airline to pick up or drop off passengers who are not continuing on to Ethiopia.
Despite the route cancellation, Ethiopian Airlines is still going strong, choosing instead to focus its attention on expanding coverage to other destinations. Beginning December 11, the airline will increase its route frequency to 6x weekly between Addis Ababa (ADD) and Oslo (OSL). And on Nov. 2, Ethiopian Airlines will fly in to Mogadishu, Somalia, reviving a route that has been dormant for more than 40 years. Ethiopia terminated its Somalia routes in the late 1970s during the country’s civil unrest, and Somalia lost its United Nations airspace rights altogether for nearly 30 years after the government collapsed in 1991.
Featured photo courtesy of Planespotters.net.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees