This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ethiopian Airlines is terminating its 4x weekly service between Los Angeles and Addis Ababa, first launched in June 2015. The last flight will depart on December 14.
The LAX-ADD route is best known amongst AvGeeks for its stop in Dublin with pick-up privileges, which allows passengers to travel between California and Ireland on one of TPG‘s favorite fifth freedom routes (No. 8 on this list). The unique transatlantic Dreamliner route was a popular option for traveling in lie-flat business class on a Star Alliance partner. The airline still operates three routes with US destinations: Chicago, Newark and Washington Dulles. However, none of these routes offer fifth freedom privileges, since the Washington Dulles route stops in Dublin to refuel but does not allow the airline to pick up or drop off passengers who are not continuing on to Ethiopia.
Despite the route cancellation, Ethiopian Airlines is still going strong, choosing instead to focus its attention on expanding coverage to other destinations. Beginning December 11, the airline will increase its route frequency to 6x weekly between Addis Ababa (ADD) and Oslo (OSL). And on Nov. 2, Ethiopian Airlines will fly in to Mogadishu, Somalia, reviving a route that has been dormant for more than 40 years. Ethiopia terminated its Somalia routes in the late 1970s during the country’s civil unrest, and Somalia lost its United Nations airspace rights altogether for nearly 30 years after the government collapsed in 1991.
Featured photo courtesy of Planespotters.net.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees