Ethiopian Airlines Cancels LAX-ADD Route, Axing Fifth Freedom Dublin Stop
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ethiopian Airlines is terminating its 4x weekly service between Los Angeles and Addis Ababa, first launched in June 2015. The last flight will depart on December 14.
The LAX-ADD route is best known amongst AvGeeks for its stop in Dublin with pick-up privileges, which allows passengers to travel between California and Ireland on one of TPG‘s favorite fifth freedom routes (No. 8 on this list). The unique transatlantic Dreamliner route was a popular option for traveling in lie-flat business class on a Star Alliance partner. The airline still operates three routes with US destinations: Chicago, Newark and Washington Dulles. However, none of these routes offer fifth freedom privileges, since the Washington Dulles route stops in Dublin to refuel but does not allow the airline to pick up or drop off passengers who are not continuing on to Ethiopia.
Despite the route cancellation, Ethiopian Airlines is still going strong, choosing instead to focus its attention on expanding coverage to other destinations. Beginning December 11, the airline will increase its route frequency to 6x weekly between Addis Ababa (ADD) and Oslo (OSL). And on Nov. 2, Ethiopian Airlines will fly in to Mogadishu, Somalia, reviving a route that has been dormant for more than 40 years. Ethiopia terminated its Somalia routes in the late 1970s during the country’s civil unrest, and Somalia lost its United Nations airspace rights altogether for nearly 30 years after the government collapsed in 1991.
Featured photo courtesy of Planespotters.net.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.