Here’s How to Enter to Win 500,000 American Airlines Miles — Without Buying a Cruise
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve seen some solid promotions recently from American Airlines Vacations — including the ongoing opportunity to score 20,000 bonus American Airlines miles for booking a package to Asia, Australia or New Zealand. TPG contributor Katie Genter just returned from one of those promo bookings, scoring almost 36,000 total AA miles from a $581 mileage run from San Francisco (SFO) to Beijing (PEK) through Los Angeles (LAX):
And it looks like American Airlines Cruises also wants to drum up interest. Through Nov. 18, you’ll earn 2 American Airlines miles per $1 spent — up to a maximum of 20,000 bonus miles — for booking a cruise through AA Cruises. That’s in addition to the miles/points you’ll earn through your credit card. Check out this guide of the best credit cards for booking cruises.
But, there’s also a way to win up to 500,000 AA miles without even booking a cruise. AA Cruises is currently running a Million Miles Sweepstakes:
- One (1) grand prize winner will receive: 500,000 AAdvantage miles and One (1) cruise for two valued at $3,000
- Five (5) first prize winners will receive 100,000 AAdvantage miles
While American Airlines Cruises would love it if you booked a cruise, all sweepstakes must have a “no purchase necessary” way to enter the contest. And this sweepstakes is no exception. In order to get a free entry, all you need to do is sign up for the AA Cruises weekly newsletter through this form through Jan. 31, 2019:
Note that AA Cruises values AA miles at 1.99 cents per mile for the Approximate Retail Value (ARV) for each prize. That means that the Grand Prize is worth $12,950 and each First Prize is worth $1,990. Winners will have to pay taxes on this amount of winnings. If you win, note that you can challenge the valuation of these miles — although 1.99 cents per mile isn’t as atrocious as the valuation of miles in other contests.
Featured image by jimfeng / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.