Emirates Is Reportedly Reducing Pilot Staffing on Ultra Long-Haul Routes
In yet another move to accommodate its ongoing pilot shortage, Emirates is reportedly reducing the number of pilots on some of its ultra long-haul routes.
The Dubai-based carrier has cut several routes due to its shortage of pilots, which it says will be fixed by September or October. Now, reports from a pilots’ industry forum say that beginning July 1, Emirates will be reducing its pilot team on some ultra long-haul routes from a team of four down to just three.
The routes that will be manned by only three pilots will reportedly be Dubai (DXB) to Sydney (SYD), Melbourne (MEL), New York (JFK), Boston (BOS), Rio (GIG) and Sao Paulo (GRU).
TPG reached out to Emirates for confirmation, but a spokesperson was not immediately available to comment. The representative said they would investigate the matter.
The alleged move has raised concerns among industry experts who question the ability of pilots to fight fatigue and get adequate rest while flying with reduced crew members on such long routes. In the US, flights longer than 12 hours require a team of four pilots. The duration of the routes that Emirates is said to be operating with three pilots are between 13 and 15 hours long.
Of course, the guidelines in the United Arab Emirates differ from those in the US, and this move would not violate any government regulations in the UAE.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.