Emirates Flight Attendant Accused of Stealing More Than $5,000 From Passengers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Emirates flight attendant is accused of stealing 18,500 Dirhams (~$5,000) from a group of passengers who were in the business-class cabin.
The flight was traveling from Thailand to Dubai in June, and the three victims were brothers sitting in business class. According to Gulf News, which cites court documents, the brothers were traveling also with their father, who fell ill during the flight. The brothers went to check on their father, and when they returned to their seats, a total of 18,500 Dirhams in different currencies had been stolen from their wallets.
When the brothers noticed their missing belongings, they notified the crew’s supervisor, who also informed the police. The following police investigation determined that a 37-year-old male flight attendant had stolen the cash, based on his fingerprints matching those from one of the wallets. The flight attendant was charged.
When he appeared before the Dubai Court of First Instance on Wednesday, the suspect pleaded not guilty to the charges. The trial is currently adjourned until the suspect’s lawyer can review the case file.
The incident serves as a reminder to always keep your eyes on your valuable belongings while inflight.
Featured image by KARIM SAHIB / AFP / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.