Emirates becomes first non-domestic carrier approved to use biometric boarding to U.S.
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) just approved Emirates to use biometric boarding on flights to any of its 12 U.S. cities from its hub in Dubai. This makes the UAE carrier the first non-U.S. airline to be approved to use this technology on in-bound flights.
There’s currently a handful of airlines who have been using the system at select airports on outbound flights. One of the biggest benefits of the system is that it speeds up the boarding process. For example, Delta’s initial trials showed that the facial recognition option saves up to nine minutes per flight and Lufthansa’s initial trials showed they could board approximately 350 passengers onto an A380 in about 20 minutes.
Whether you have a long day of travel ahead or not, anywhere you can save time on the journey is always appreciated.
If you’re not so sure about this whole biometric boarding thing, check out our guide to using the new system as it might clear up any questions you may have.
(Featured photo by Ryan Patterson / The Points Guy)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.