Emirates becomes first non-domestic carrier approved to use biometric boarding to U.S.
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) just approved Emirates to use biometric boarding on flights to any of its 12 U.S. cities from its hub in Dubai. This makes the UAE carrier the first non-U.S. airline to be approved to use this technology on in-bound flights.
There’s currently a handful of airlines who have been using the system at select airports on outbound flights. One of the biggest benefits of the system is that it speeds up the boarding process. For example, Delta’s initial trials showed that the facial recognition option saves up to nine minutes per flight and Lufthansa’s initial trials showed they could board approximately 350 passengers onto an A380 in about 20 minutes.
Whether you have a long day of travel ahead or not, anywhere you can save time on the journey is always appreciated.
If you’re not so sure about this whole biometric boarding thing, check out our guide to using the new system as it might clear up any questions you may have.
(Featured photo by Ryan Patterson / The Points Guy)
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.