Emirates begins retiring some A380s even as fleet continues to expand
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates, the world’s largest operator of Airbus A380s, is beginning to take some of the super-jumbo jets out of its fleet.
That’s according to FlightGlobal, which reported the the Dubai-based airline is implementing a retirement plan that will see some A380s come out of service even as more of the aircraft come off the production line and into Emirates’ fleet.
The airline’s president said the retirements are part of the company’s long-term fleet strategy. He told FlightGlobal that the A380s coming out of the fleet will be for “various reasons” and will be retired “on a tail-by-tail, month-by-month basis under a retirement [schedule] that is well planned already.”
Two of the aircraft have already been taken out of service and will be used for spare parts, according to the report.
The report also said that the airline expects to continue flying A380s well into the 2030s, although the number of aircraft may dip below 100 by the mid-2020s.
Emirates has long been the primary customer for the super-jumbo, with 112 in its fleet currently. Airbus announced it would shuttering the A380 production line earlier this year when the airline declined to order more of the aircraft, instead choosing to purchase A330s and A350s.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.