Emirates begins retiring some A380s even as fleet continues to expand
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates, the world’s largest operator of Airbus A380s, is beginning to take some of the super-jumbo jets out of its fleet.
That’s according to FlightGlobal, which reported the the Dubai-based airline is implementing a retirement plan that will see some A380s come out of service even as more of the aircraft come off the production line and into Emirates’ fleet.
The airline’s president said the retirements are part of the company’s long-term fleet strategy. He told FlightGlobal that the A380s coming out of the fleet will be for “various reasons” and will be retired “on a tail-by-tail, month-by-month basis under a retirement [schedule] that is well planned already.”
Two of the aircraft have already been taken out of service and will be used for spare parts, according to the report.
The report also said that the airline expects to continue flying A380s well into the 2030s, although the number of aircraft may dip below 100 by the mid-2020s.
Emirates has long been the primary customer for the super-jumbo, with 112 in its fleet currently. Airbus announced it would shuttering the A380 production line earlier this year when the airline declined to order more of the aircraft, instead choosing to purchase A330s and A350s.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees