Smoke in Cabin Forces Emergency Evacuation at DCA
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on Mesa Airlines flight 6122, operating as United Express from DC’s Reagan Airport (DCA) to Houston’s George Bush International Airport (IAH), had to evacuate the plane on the taxiway Sunday afternoon after smoke was detected in the cabin.
A transportation reporter for the Washington Post posted the following statement from the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority on Twitter:
Passengers and crew exited the 70-seat Embraer E-170 regional jet via emergency slide, “‘without incident and continued to the gate,” according to the Post. The cause of the smoke has yet to be determined.
A United spokesperson says, “We are currently investigating the cause and are working with our team to secure alternate flights for customers onboard.”
Another Washington Post reporter posted the following video of the evacuation:
No injuries have been reported, and “normal airport operations have resumed, and the aircraft is being checked by airline personnel,” according to airport authorities.
Feature image by Philip Rucker.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.