Smoke in Cabin Forces Emergency Evacuation at DCA
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on Mesa Airlines flight 6122, operating as United Express from DC’s Reagan Airport (DCA) to Houston’s George Bush International Airport (IAH), had to evacuate the plane on the taxiway Sunday afternoon after smoke was detected in the cabin.
A transportation reporter for the Washington Post posted the following statement from the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority on Twitter:
Passengers and crew exited the 70-seat Embraer E-170 regional jet via emergency slide, “‘without incident and continued to the gate,” according to the Post. The cause of the smoke has yet to be determined.
A United spokesperson says, “We are currently investigating the cause and are working with our team to secure alternate flights for customers onboard.”
Another Washington Post reporter posted the following video of the evacuation:
No injuries have been reported, and “normal airport operations have resumed, and the aircraft is being checked by airline personnel,” according to airport authorities.
Feature image by Philip Rucker.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.