Elevated Offers: Earn up to 20x Miles Through United's Shopping Portal
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
When shopping online, one of TPG's top tips is to always click through an online shopping portal to earn extra miles for a purchase. Today it seems that you can make out like a bandit through United's MileagePlus portal. The website has a slew of elevated offers for retailers like Macy's and Neiman Marcus.
The promo appears to be valid through the end of the week allowing you to earn a whole lot more miles than you normally would, including the following stores:
- eBags: 20x miles per dollar (normally 5x) for a 28% return based on TPG's valuations.
- Macy's: 10x miles per dollar (normally 2x) for a 14% return based on TPG's valuations.
- Barney's New York: 10x miles per dollar (normally 2x) for a 14% return based on TPG's valuations.
- Neiman Marcus: 10x miles per dollar (normally 2x) for a 14% return based on TPG's valuations.
- The Container Store: 10x miles per dollar (normally 2x) for a 14% return based on TPG's valuations.
Remember, you can sometimes triple dip your earnings by purchasing a gift card through United's Mileage Plus X app and then using that gift card when shopping through the retailer. Or earn 5x Ultimate Rewards when purchasing a gift card from an office supply store like Staples with the Chase Ink Cash.
For example, if you planned on spending $100 at The Container Store, you could earn 4x miles through the MPX app (plus a 25% bonus if you have the United Explorer Card), points from your credit card issuer for the purchase of the gift card and then more miles by shopping through the portal itself. It looks like this:
- Dip 1: 500 United miles through MileagePlus X (4x plus 25% bonus )
- Dip 2: 150 points for the purchase of the e-gift card with your credit card (1.5% with Chase Freedom Unlimited)
- Dip 3: 1,000 United miles through the United MileagePlus Shopping portal (10x)
That's 1,500 United miles plus 150 Chase Ultimate Rewards points for just a $100 purchase, making for a 24% return based on TPG's valuations. Just remember to use a credit card that's great for non-bonused spend.