Watch Elephants Take a Drink From This Resort’s Swimming Pool
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In South Africa, there are a slew of immersive experiences that expose safari-goers to the incredible wildlife many of us only see at the zoo. But few compare to the close encounter Mhondoro Lodge guests had with a trio of elephants who turned one of the property’s swimming pools into their personal watering hole.
A tour guide, Ivan Ueckermann, captured stunning footage that shows two of the three elephants dunking their trunks into the pool, seemingly unfazed by the humans lounging just feet away.
South Africa’s dry season typically runs from April until October, meaning the rivers and waterholes the elephants normally drink from in Kruger National Park are less plentiful.
Ueckermann told the Daily Mail how the experience gave insight into the dynamics between these animals.
“We learn[ed] so much about these amazing creatures and their behavior, how they react to one another, which ones dominate the pool [and keep] the others at bay.”
The Mhondoro Lodge is well known for helping guests observe the incredible wildlife in the national park. The resort even has a so-called Waterhole Hide: a discrete lookout accessed through a 213-foot-long concrete tunnel attached to the lodge from which visitors can watch the animals in their natural habitat without intruding. Spectators often spot baboons, warthogs and elephants cooling off at the waterhole.
But the poolside elephant encounter was far more intimate than most, even for Ueckermann, who is no stranger to observing these animals in the park. “Just enjoying the sounds they make when they drink the water and communicate, or seeing textures of their skin and super long eyelashes,” made the experience truly unique for Ueckermann, he explained.
This isn’t the first account of an elephant drinking from a pool in Kruger National Park. Mhondoro’s website features several photos of elephants imbibing from the on-site swimming pools.
Another small herd of elephants, including one baby, was spotted in 2016 drinking from the pool at Kambaku River Sands in a private nature reserve as well.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees